To serve you better, we've assembled a list of answers to our residents' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

Frequently Asked Questions


Dog and Cat registrations

All residents are required to have up to date Rabies vaccination for all cats and dogs and are required to be registered with the City of Hobart. The current cost of registering your cat/dog is $7.50 each. You'll get a permit and a registration tag for your pets collar. To obtain a dog/cat permit come to City Hall with proof of a rabies certificate from your vet.

Registering your cats and dogs with the city and keeping them up to date also helps when your pet goes missing or runs away. Having your cats and dogs registered and wearing their tags will help in identifying their owners if/when they are found.


Dog/Cat registration expiration

Registrations for cats/dogs expire on December 31st each year. Make sure to stop by City Hall to re-register your cats/dogs at the end of each year.

Tags on dogs

Ordinance § 90.027 states that tags are to be placed on the collar of dogs. 
   (A)   The owner shall cause the tag received from the city to be affixed to the collar of the dog, so that the tag can easily be seen by officers of the city. The owner shall see that the tag is so worn by the dog at all times.
   (B)   In case the tag is lost before the end of the year for which it was issued, the owner may secure another for the dog by applying to the City Clerk, presenting to him or her the original receipt, and paying to him or her a fee as set by the City Council.

New utility service

If you're needing utilities turned on come to City Hall with your photo ID and fill out the application for service. Have questions about new service? Give us a call at (580)726-3100 and we'll be happy to answer your questions. 

Utility Bill due date

Utility Bills generate at the end of every month. If the bill is not paid by the 15th of the month, a 10% late fee will be added.

If the balance is not paid in full by the 25th, the water will be turned off on the 26th and a $25.00 service fee will be added to the account.

We have several payment options:

  • Send payments in the mail
  • Pay bills in the lobby at City Hall
  • Pay at the drive thru window at City Hall
  • Use the drop box next to the drive thru window at City Hall
  • Pay online at hobartok.gov
  • Get set up on Auto Draft

If you'd like to be set up on Auto Draft come into City Hall with a voided check and fill out the paperwork. 


Online bill payment trouble

If you're trying to pay your utility bill online make sure to enter your full account number including the dashes and dots. 

Roll Off Policy

Access to roll-offs are by appointment only, Monday-Friday from 8:00 A.M. to 11:30 A.M. and then from 2:00 P.M. to 3:30 P.M.

Call City Hall to make an appointment for roll-off access. A City employee will only wait 10 minutes from your scheduled appointment. If you miss your appointment you will have to reschedule for another day. Residents can put a few of the allowed items in the rolloffs. 

You are responsible for putting everything in the roll-offs. 

The roll-offs are for bulk items only such as:

Mattresses, beds, couches, chairs, washer and dryers and appliances. Appliances containing freon must be red tagged by a licensed plumber indicating the freon has been safely removed from the item. 

*Refrigerators/freezers must be emptied of all contents such as food and drinks.*

Not allowed in roll-offs:

Household trash, shingles, propane bottles, tires, pallets, construction material of any kind, hazardous materials; batteries, gas, oil, paint, etc.

Anything from cleaning out houses, garages, barns, sheds, commercia buildings, etc.

Limb Disposal Site

The tree limb disposal site is for tree limbs and brush only. The limb disposal site is not a landfill.  The site is available by appointment during city working hours between 8:00am to 11:30am and 1:00pm to 3:30pm depending on the city work schedule.  For appointments call city hall at 580-726-3100 or public works at 580-726-2919. 

More information on the site's policy is available at city hall.  

Municipal Court

If you were given a citation and need to pay your fine you can come in to City Hall and request to talk to our court clerk, Beth. You may also call (580)726-3100 and press extension 3 for questions you have regarding citations. If you have recieved a letter from our Court Clerk, give us a call or come in to City Hall to see the Court Clerk.

Municipal court is held the 3rd Monday of every month at 5 pm. If the 3rd Monday is a holiday court will be held the following business day at 5pm. Click the following link for the  schedule of Municipal Court dates www.hobartok.gov/court